Sunday 18 January 2015

Flying Bosci toy

A while back, someone sent me two pictures they had taken in the Viaduct Basin area of Aukland, New Zealand. Two young artists were completing a massive mural and one of the characters looks remarkably like me. Me wearing a cape like a super-hero. This reminded me of how in my youth I had loved and collected rubber monster and super hero toys. 





I decided I should endeavour to make a toy of this type with myself as subject. These toys were prevalent in the 1960's and 70's and are now highly collectable. I found several images on the internet of the sort of things I remembered so fondly.






I began by sculpting a rough figure in plasticine. The toy would be made using a two piece plaster mould. I added detail like fur and wings to the plaster with tools after the rough cast was made.









It was a complex process made difficult by the confines of my small
cabinet. However I was very happy with the completed mould.



I am now able to mass produce these toys.



They have an elastic string in the back so they can be hung
dangling from the rear-view mirror of a conventional car.







No comments:

Post a Comment